Five better building tips followed by high-performance builders
"Enhanced comfort and energy savings are welcome benefits for all your clients"
July 16, 2019 by canadiancontractor
Designing and constructing a high-performance modern building takes some commitment and planning by builders, but the results have the potential to pay long-term dividends. The enhanced comfort and energy savings are welcome benefits for all your clients. A well-built home also comes with the confidence of longevity; knowing it’s been built to stand up to the toughest conditions. This is how builders become recognized for quality.
Here are 5 tips to help you build the best home possible for your client.
- Build it to be air tight Ensuring the home you’re building is air tight has significant efficiency benefits. Many high-performance builders build each home as tight as possible, generally aiming for 1.5 ACH50 or less on the Blower Door test.
- Consider your HVAC system early Building high-quality, high-performing homes requires additional considerations for the heating and cooling system – particularly the fresh-air delivery. A good mechanical designer can help you find the right-sized HVAC system for the home. Build tight and ventilate right.
- Manage the water Few things create unsatisfied clients like water accumulating inside the home. Ensuring the right steps have been taken for adequate drainage and leak-proofing will ensure your client’s comfort and the longevity of the home.
- Insulate better Go beyond traditional cavity-filled insulation on the interior and achieve a higher effective R-value by including continuous insulation like ROCKWOOL’s COMFORTBOARD™ on the exterior of your next build. This will greatly bolster the home’s performance and comfort.
- Go with quality windows and doors with lower U-Factors and better air sealing. The performance of your well-insulated home could be negated by standard-code windows and doors. These are thermal holes. Especially with windows, selecting higher quality will ensure efficiency and comfort.
Our non-combustible, vapor-permeable and water-repellent COMFORTBOARD™ is a continuous insulation solution that helps your wall assemblies dry to the outside, and improves both energy efficiency and client comfort.
Better performance. More rewards
COMFORTBOARD™ gives you better performance and the chance to earn great rewards, too! Join the ROCKWOOL Contractor Reward program and start earning valuable points every time you make a purchase.