The PR folks who handle the account for the Ontario College of Trades are probably going to be busy telling the public that without OCOT certification you are a bum. In so many words.
The BiY Learning Centres concept was founded by TV renovation star Jim Caruk. After operating independently in recent years, they have now been picked up by Lowe`s Canada which is adding BiY Learning Centres to some of its stores in Southern Ontario
This massive hike will go through, unless employers – especially small business owners like contractors – speak up now
When celebrity contractors such as Mike Holmes can’t get it right on the safety issues, there’s no doubt that we have a Culture of Silence when it comes to health and safety in our industry
Rob asks Mike, what can you do when your competition offers to do the job at half your price? “You walk away,” Mike says.
January 8, 2013
December 16, 2012
December 3, 2012
May 7, 2013
May 2, 2013
January 16, 2013
April 25, 2013
April 10, 2013
January 22, 2013
Home Inspection is a growing industry for which renovators are well suited
You have a great idea for a new product but how do you get it to market? Dragon’s Den? No, just call Steve Sennik
Mike goes to bat for you on products
Here’s a chance to improve your website. And here’s a contractor that is giving his employees and their families back to the government of Ontario to look after.
Some contractors knock Mike Holmes because he once went bankrupt while he was a full-time contractor. He did, but he has something to say about that.
Think you are unaffected by the tax grab in Ontario? Not so fast.
Mike’s insurance and how he estimates his jobs
If you are not, you are a dead man… or woman. Carrie Shaw tell us why.
Mike turns his beefy guns on customers
Contractors from across the province are saying enough is enough and they will no longer accept the WSIB’s effort to dig into their pocketbooks to deal with the $14.5 billion unfunded liability.
Why parents don’t want their kids to be trades people. And what to do when your customer owes you $100,000
Do we need central planning or should we let the free market sort things out?
The curse of TV and the help of sponsors and contractors working for free
Independent operators in Ontario mobilize to tell the Ontario government how they feel about the increased cost of doing business as a result of Bill 119
What Mike really thinks about contractors
The first segment of our exclusive interview with Mike Holmes, as he responds to a barrage of criticism from Canadian Contractor readers. And Steve and Rob talk about moonlighting firefighters doing renovations for cash in their spare time… while they pocket gold-plated, public sector benefits packages.
Rob learned the hard way as a renovator. His 3 biggest mistakes will never be yours if you watch this.
See how they make moulding at Royal Woodworking, a moulding manufacturer in Bradford, Ontario.
A “Made in Canada” product you will want to install in your customer’s basement
Keeping the site neat is a very good way to leave a good public impression
Video: Rob, Steve and readers weigh in on the Ontario College of Trades’ fees for “compulsory” trades
The College will be invoicing lots of you in April. $120 for licensed trades in certain categories, and $60 for apprentices. Many readers of Canadian Contractor are angry about this, saying that the College is offering little or no value in return.
No offense to this guy, really, but how do five tips on bathroom renos that start with “Make sure you have a really, really good plan” get 30,162 hits? How desperate can we…
You thought your mistakes were bad!
Mike Holmes hammers Canadian contractors in the latest issue of Readers Digest. “What percentage of contractors are doing good, honest work?” he’s asked in an interview about his new show, Holmes Makes It RIght. “I call it the good, the bad and the ugly: 20, 70 and ten percent, respectively” Holmes replies.
If you can learn from anywhere, learn from WestJet
And why Life Cycle Assessment is the only way to know what is truly “green.”
Make a lot more money as a renovator, without burning yourself out. Attend our RenoSummit one-day seminars in Vancouver (Nov. 12), Calgary (Nov. 14) and Winnipeg (Nov. 16)
R Value credibility takes another serious beating
Tools editor Steve Maxwell is the Tip King where building is concerned
Sean Reid of stopthetradestax.ca responds to Ron Johnson of the Ontario College of Trades
Our tools editor surprises us
What was it like to build windows 20 years ago?
One of our favourite parts of Canadian Contractor magazine is Stuff We Like. We had a chance to enjoy a whole room full of stuff we could like at a recent showcase event…
When timing is everything, this Can Save
Marvin Windows and Doors shows you two of its favourite products
What would you do if you won a million dollars?
Lake view, mountain view, city view…all in 90 minutes.
Master Lock’s products for contractors Part 1
When was the last time you danced on site?
Could this be Reiner Hoyer?
Watch a video, feed someone
We follow up on our December 2011 issue story of the project that the experts said couldn’t, or shouldn’t, be done
Mark makes some extra money
Making a deposit?
Two contractors walk into a bar…
This tilt-French door has “German engineering” written all over it.
A contractor walks into a bar…
WARNING: This post will not help you build better, increase your market or help you make more profit.
Customers have had the chance to comment on your business online. Now it’s your turn.
Viewer warning! This video is five minutes long, but it was too hard to cover the smart homes system’s features in less.
Digging out a basement with radio controlled diggers and dump trucks a not-for-profit exercise
Want to be successful? Be like Velux. Roll with the punches and stick with what you know. Then make a product like this.
Retirement living will be the biggest trend in renovation and custom homebuilding over the next 20 years. Don’t miss it. Healthcraft isn’t www.healthcraftproducts.com/
You couldn’t make it, so here’s your tour.
And he used to write a column for Canadian Contractor…when he was still speaking to us.
The cool design idea that puts you above the competition may be over your head.
How to make your client feel like $6,000 of clean and fresh for only $700. Kohler scales its highend shower control system for the masses.
The number of online contractors has not increased. It may even have gone down.
In the Canadian Contractor Salary Survey, you said it was mostly competitive pressure that hindered profit. But that’s not all…
A one stop shop for renovator clients
Why are you making so little money?
How would stand up under the scrutiny of The Reno Coach?
More and more, there are third parties getting involved in cleaning up the renovation industry.
Who is the bigger danger to the renovation industry, the guy with the fancy website or the guy working for cash?
You’re not a renovator, you’re an educator
A few days in hospital focuses the mind.
Where do you reload? Reboot? Repair yourself? What thoughts do you have? What thoughts should you have?
If you hate installing furnaces, you’ll love Reiner’s house.
When colour is your thing, maybe you should use some.
Take a look at what Santa left in this neighbourhood
We asked yesterday how changes in home sales affect renovation activity. Here is one contractor’s reply.
When housing slows, is it better or worse for renovators? There are good arguments on both sides.
An example of how one contractor reduced his cost.
In 2012, you’ll finally make a profit
The Reno Coach Reiner Hoyer has some tough words for the contracting industry.
As if there were not enough ways for consumers to go shopping, a one-stop-shop option for renovations is coming to a town north of Toronto. The 600,000 square foot space will house dozens…
There is more to life than money
- Home inspection: a new revenue stream for you?
- Help for contractor inventors
- VIDEO: Mike Homes Interview (7): The products you buy
- A website contest…A trade gives his employee back to Ontario
- VIDEO: Mike Holmes recalls his bankruptcy, Part 5
- VIDEO: Ontario College of Trades threatens Alberta electrician’s Interprovincial License
- Mike Holmes interview Part 4 (VIDEO)
- Are you on the first page of Google? (VIDEO)
- Mike Holmes interview Part 3
- Contractors protest Ontario WSIB Bill 119
- The next issue of Canadian Contractor
- The real battle we face: Keynes vs Hayak
- Mike Holmes interview Part 2
- Protesting Bill 119 in Hamilton, Ontario
- Mike Holmes Interview Part 1
- Rob and Steve VIDEO: Moonlighting firefighters. Mike Holmes answers his critics.
- Rob’s 3 biggest mistakes as a renovation contractor (VIDEO)
- How your moulding is made: VIDEO
- The product that keeps basement floor installations dry
- Tree protection, good and bad
- Video: Rob, Steve and readers weigh in on the Ontario College of Trades’ fees for “compulsory” trades
- How does a video like this get over 30,000 views!!
- Epic fails in construction
- Readers respond to Mike Holmes’ comment that 70% of contractors are “bad” and 10% “ugly”
- Building your employee loyalty: lessons from WestJet
- Why wood is better for building everything
- Your personal invitation to RenoSummit
- R Values: Often misleading, sometimes useless
- Maxwell’s classics
- Slamming the Ontario College of Trades: VIDEO
- Maxwell’s Rant
- The Marvin story: Part 1
- We like this stuff
- Can-saving your butt
- Marvelling at Marvin
- A Contractor Joke
- Rotating skyscrapers
- “Your tailgate just got ripped off, Ivan.”
- Take a break
- Contractor shorts 6
- Help a food bank. It will take one minute
- The White Knight’s triumph
- Contractor Shorts 5
- Contractor Shorts 4
- Contractor Shorts 3
- Broken? Or just an R9 super efficient French door
- Contractor Shorts 2
- Contractor Shorts 1
- The Anti-Angie’s List
- Super smart home
- What’s the ROI on this excavation?
- Why Velux stays on top
- Ottawa firm gets in front of the curve
- The IBS show in three minutes
- Who attracts the most attention at Orlando’s IBS?
- IBS Orlando, 2012. Design that makes you look up
- The shower that does everything
- Salary Survey preview: What you are doing online
- Salary Survey: What reduces profit?
- Salary Survey: What you earn
- Go Rici Construct Canada Reno Roundtable: Part 4
- Go Rici Construct Canada Reno Roundtable: Part 3
- Go Rici Construct Canada Reno Roundtable: Part 2
- Go Rici Construct Canada Reno Roundtable: Part 1
- Health as a profit strategy
- What you need to think
- The death of home heating
- The Johnny Cash School of Decor
- Bad Santa
- One contractor’s opinion on home sales and renos
- Does it matter to renovators when housing slows?
- Cost-side smarts
- Profit is not a dirty word
- Reiner’s House
- A new way of selling to homeowners arrives
- Motivating your staff without money
In one day, you will learn all kinds of ways to make more money as a renovator.