Canadian Contractor

John Bleasby   

Senior/mobility renovation grants and loans across the country

Canadian Contractor

It's the most complete overview of provincial funding programs we've published

Seniors, or those with mobility issues, want to live at home, and governments want to help them achieve that objective. It’s a growing market for renovators across the country. Knowing how your prospective clients can find funding assistance from their provincial government is important.

Here is overview (by no means complete) of some programs in your province or territory.

British Columbia
The annual Home Adaptations for Independence (HAFI) funding allocation has been exhausted pending funding announcements in the new budget year starting April 2017.


In the meantime, the Home Renovation Tax Credit for Seniors and Persons with Disabilities assists eligible individuals 65 and over and persons with disabilities with the cost of certain permanent home renovations to improve accessibility or be more functional or mobile at home. Effective February 17, 2016 the program was extended to persons with disabilities (and family members living with those individuals) and renamed the Home Renovation Tax Credit for Seniors and Persons with Disabilities.

Applicants are eligible if, on the last day of the tax year, they are a resident of B.C., and a senior or a family member living with a senior, or a person with a disability or a family member living with a person with a disability (for 2016 and later tax years).

The Seniors Home Adaptation and Repair program helps seniors update their homes so they can maintain their independence and stay in their communities close to friends and family. The program provides low-interest home equity loans to a maximum of $40,000 per household to seniors with a household income of $75,000 or less. The most requested repairs or adaptations include: House roof, windows, flooring, furnaces, hot water tanks. Homeowners must have at least 25 per cent home equity. Low-income seniors who do not qualify under the loan program may be eligible for a grant to help pay for essential home repairs.

Saskatchewan’s Aids to Independent Living Special Needs Equipment Program is free loan of lower-cost devices such as grab bars, raised toilet seats, bath seats, and canes.

The Home Adaptations for Seniors provides assistance to homeowners and landlords for accessibility and modifications for seniors. The province of Manitoba also offers Residential Adaptations for Disabilities Program which consists of forgivable loans to homeowners and landlords for accessibility modifications for persons with disabilities. Both programs are included under the CMHC — Manitoba Agreement for Investment in Affordable Housing.

The Healthy Homes Renovation Tax Credit was discontinued of January 1, 2017. However, there may be financial aid for low income seniors through the Ontario Renovates (Home Repairs) program available through applications to townships and municipalities, offering funding for urgent repairs, renovations, and accessibility modifications for low to moderate income homeowners. up to a maximum of $3,500 is in the form of a grant. Funding in excess of $3,500 up to $15,000 is in the form of a forgivable loan. The actual amount of assistance is based on the cost of repairs. Eligibility for the home repair subcomponent is means tested and requires home ownership.

In addition, the Secondary Suites Program provides funding of up to $25,000 per unit for the creation of a secondary or garden suite which is an effective means to increase the supply of affordable housing.

The Residential Adaptation program provides financial assistance for people with disabilities to cover some of the cost of adapting and making their homes accessible. All people with disabilities, whose limitations affect their daily activities, are eligible for the program regardless of their income.

Depending on the type of household, the grant may vary between $4,000 and $16,000:
Owner household: grant of up to $16,000
Tenant household: grant of up to $8,000
Boarder household: grant of up to $4,000

New Brunswick
1. Homeowners in need of major repairs and or disabled accessible modifications assistance can apply to the Federal / Provincial Repair Program, in the form of a loan a portion of which may not have to be repaid. The maximum forgivable loan per housing unit is $10,000 for regular repairs and $10,000 for disabled accessible items. The amount of forgivable loan is based upon a sliding income scale and the amount of required repairs. The loan amount is at the provincial borrowing interest rate and can be repaid over a period of up to 15 years.

2. In addition, homeowner households may be eligible for a forgivable loan for both disabled accessible modifications and other major repair items (i.e. structural, electrical) to a maximum of $20,000.
Seniors are eligible for a forgivable loan for minor adaptations to facilitate independent living to a maximum of $3,500 . In addition, landlords are eligible for a forgivable loan for disabled modifications to a maximum of $10,000.

3. The New Brunswick Seniors’ Home Renovation Tax Credit is a refundable personal income tax credit for seniors and family members who live with them. If you qualify, you can claim up to $10,000 worth of eligible home improvements on your tax return. The amount of money you get back for these expenses is calculated as 10 per cent of the eligible expenses you claim. For example, if you spend and then claim $10,000 worth of eligible expenses, you could get $1,000 back.

CLICK HERE for details

The Seniors Safe @ Home Program is available for those who need to make changes to your home in order to improve its accessibility to continue living there. Program for between $1,000 and $5,000 in assistance to help with the cost. This funding is based on your annual income:  If you are age 60 or over with an annual net income (combined with your spouse) no greater than $50,000 you may be eligible for funding. You must own and live in the home, or, live with family who own and live in the home. The modifications must be necessary for your accessibility, health and safety.

Nova Scotia
Nova Scotia’s Home Adaption for Seniors’ Independence offers a forgivable loan of up to $3,500 is available, and does not need to be repaid as long as the homeowner agrees to live in their home for a minimum of six months after the adaptations are made. The home repairs covered by this grant include minor items to help with age-related challenges. Some examples include: Handrails in hallways and stairways, easy-to-reach work and storage areas in the kitchen, lever handles on doors, and walk-in showers and grab bars.

Newfoundland & Labrador
The Home Modification Program (HMP) provides funding for low-to-moderate income homeowners, seniors and persons with disabilities who require accessibility changes to their residences, to promote independence, self-reliance, assist with a better quality of life, and enable individuals to remain in their own homes for a longer period. (A referral from local Community Health board is required.) Approvable work includes installation of a ramp; widened doorways/halls to increase space for wheelchair, handrails, lowered counter and work space in the kitchen, roll/walk-in showers, bathtub grab bars, and seats.

NLHC provides funding to eligible homeowners in the form of grants and repayable loans. Funding is limited to the costs associated with repairs. Persons with accessibility needs may receive a forgivable grant of up to $7,500. Repairs exceeding these levels may be addressed under a repayable loan of up to $10,000 [$13,000 in Labrador].

The Accessibility Enhancement Grant program offers one-time grants to homeowners and landlords for improving the accessibility of people’s homes and rental units. Grants of up to $25,000 per unit and up to a maximum of $50,000 per multi-residential buildings are available.

The Senior Citizen Home Repair Program (SCHRP) provides assistance to senior citizens (60+) throughout Nunavut who need to repair and/or adapt their homes in order to ensure their continued safe occupancy, and/or to assist with difficulties they encounter with daily living activities. The assistance comes in the form of a grant, to a maximum amount of $15,000, plus freight costs. One of the applicants must be at least sixty years of age and have resided in Nunavut for at least two years.

 Follow ‘john.canadiancontractor_’ on Instagram                      

   Follow John on Twitter….@john_bleasby




Stories continue below

Print this page

Related Stories

24 Comments » for Senior/mobility renovation grants and loans across the country
  1. MARGARET LANE says:


  2. Jacqueline Frenette says:

    My husband is 74 years and can no longer get into a bathtub. Had bone marrow transplant 27 yrs ago and since then had 2 hips and 1 knee relpacement which now have difficulty lifting his legs and arms. Is there a grant to help a senior home owner to renovate a bathroom? He will definetely be in a wheelchair in the near future.

  3. Susan Faulkner says: know if there is a government grant to replace evesdrough for senior 73 living on old age pension and supplement
    I am unable to repair or replace due to my finances. Thanks for a response or any help with this issue

    • Avatar photo Steve Payne says:

      Susan, sorry, we don’t know of any government money that will replace eavestrough based on age and/or income. If anyone can think of a solution for Susan, please post. Susan is in Ontario.

  4. Nooruddin Amlani says:

    305 – 5 Vicora Linkway,I had a severe STROKE which paralysed my left side since 2010. Since 7 years. The Governments, Feds, Prov. and City DONT CARE. They all have a very smart planning in place. They give you Tax Credit. Ha ha. first in your disabled, hopeless condition, you should be making enough money so you can pay taxes. THEN THEY ARE GENEROUS enough to offer you a tax credit, giving back some of your own money!!!VOW. In the seven years of my disabled life, except The Lion one has offered or given any help. Plenty of Groups, etc. all of them want money. CCAC reps come to visit, just for their own reporting. Ask them for anything, they have onlyone word answer, NO. I have enndured difficulty for bath tub, toilet sit etc. but no help.
    I would surely appreciate, if you will send a contractor, who can arrange his pmt from the 1st 3,500. grant & can help me with Railing in my walkway & with bathroom.
    The Canada Revenue, after several approaches & submitting my complete medical info. has accepted my LIFE LONG DISABILITY STATUS.
    Your prompt action is highly appreciated.

  5. roger levesque says:

    my husband is 75 i’m 73 he can no longer get in and out on his own he as heart failure bad hips knees we would like to know if we can get help to renovate the bathroom to a shower only as i cannot help him too much longer thank you

  6. Charlotte Espey says:

    Need assistance in renovating bathroom with grab rails, etc. Please advise.

  7. George says:


    You misspelled Nunavut. Correct this.

  8. Kath says:

    Let’s all be realistic here the first coming of home renovations came under McGuilty who used this as a way to try and find UNDERGROUND trades which backfired. In turn what ultimately closed a lot of LEGIT Construction businesses was the SCAM Mandatory WSIB (as they were covered better privately 24/7 for anything that may happen to them) these Companies were proactive in protecting their businesses and more importantly the owner and their workers. It ended up shutting down a lot of them that could not afford the WSIB scam. Then came along more thugs at the COT that saw trade licenses triple in cost. Again, shutting down more trades/businesses.

    The healthy home renovations tax credit was yet another SCAM as most seniors were refused the renovations. MOLD and many other issues that were detrimental to their health were denied. How do I know? I am an accountant and file taxes from A to Z.

    The Lieberals are good at saying these SCAMS will help seniors and construction businesses but it ends up just being a money grab for them and preying on Seniors and LEGIT home renovators YET AGAIN

  9. Evelyn Sather says:

    I am shocked to see BC has a grant for only $1000, while all other provinces have much higher grants available. As a senior, living in BC my whole life, I am looking for some help to repair my leaky basement so I can sell my home and find a smaller place. I have been in this house since 2009, and my basement has flooded 7 times. I require $2000 more for a $20,000 fix.

  10. Barry klein says:

    Brother is profoundly deaf owns his mobile home is 59 years old only income is cppd annual earning 6700. Is in desperate need of roof repair his porch is leaking terribly I’m afraid it’s gonna collapse or start a fire

  11. Judy LaRocque says:

    I am 55 years if age and I have parents who are 90 and 96. They are still living in their home however it is going to be necessary for me to move in with them to help keep them there safely. I am looking at renovating their basement into a suite in which I could live full time. I am looking to see if there might be a grant available to help with these renovations. It would entail a new entrance door, a new set of stairs for their safety of being up or down stairs, putting in a small kitchen including appliances, carpet, paint etc. Also some plumbing and electrical upgrades. I am hoping to be able to help them as they live at this time on just a seniors income. No pensions etc. Is there any kind of a grant program they could apply for to help with the cost of these such renovations. They want to stay in their home until the end and I would like to be able to provide for them by moving in. We live in Central British Columbia and would appreciate any help possible. Could you please provide any information that would help us or maybe other places I might be able to contact. Thank you so much for your help.

  12. Sylvia Donovan says:

    Hello, I am 69 years old and live alone in my own home in southerastern Ontario. On CPP disability for myriad of condidtions, I have pacemaker for heart failure, have chronic pain from spinal stenosis, scoliosis, and awaiting second knee replacement. I require help (from a good friend) to do regular maintenance on my house. The recent windstorm did substantial damage to my roof, and I have had a persistent roof leak for 12 years now, which have supposedly had repaired many times. Is there any financial assistance available for me to replace the asbestos shingles (which fly off every year in high winds), and get a metal roof which is much more stable?

  13. billie-jo crawford says:

    Hi I am in Ontario and am in desperate need of a roof.I am on CPP disability and my spouse is on EI.I am wanting to move my elderly mother in to make her her own living quarters but need quite alot of work done as well.Are there any programs to help!!!

    • Mary H. L. Boake says:

      March 16, 2019
      I have difficulty walking for which I receive a Disability Tax Credit. I need a new side walk up to my front door. Is there a Provincial or Federal Grant that will provide some assistance?

  14. Louise Bray says:

    Looking for a grant to for outside handrails in Peterborough area.

  15. Leslie MacRae says:

    Looking for funding for my husband. He’s had few strokes and now using walker. I have to purchase my own walker for him now cuz its just been in loan, a long with equipment for bathroom – you let and bathtub seating. A medical lift chair would also help but way too costly. Will the government help finding on this basis?

  16. Usha says:

    Ageing in place is more comfortable and economical for both seniors and government of Ontario. In my opinion our federal and provincial both Governments should have some options available around.

  17. Margaret Williams says:

    I live in British Columbia, on Vancouver Island, I wonder if there is a government grant to help with bathroom upgrade, I have arthritis and find increasingly difficult to get into my bathtub. Would appreciate some information on any government grants to help seniors who wish to remain in their own home. Thanks.

  18. Deborah King says:

    I am a 70 year old senior whom own a house.My bathroon needs repair such as walls around bath tub. I am a very limited budget. I live alone can you help me?

  19. Marie says:

    I would like to know if there a Federal or Provincial Grant as I am 84 years old and live on the second floor in St. Leonard, Quebec, and I am having trouble climbing the stairs and would like to know if there is a grant for an electric chair lift, as I would like to live at home but find climbing the stairs with groceries is too much for me-

  20. Sandra says:

    This is for someone I know that is desperate for a new roof for her house. The roof has been leaking for year. She is a low income and has a severe head injury. Do you know of any grants or government loans that would help with a roof replaced in British Columbia?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *