Decking Trends for 2021Resources 2021 buildwire canada contractor decking trends deckorators
Sponsored by Deckorators
This is a sponsored post by DECKORATORS
Outdoor living was already booming before the COVID-19 pandemic set in. Then, as millions of people started to spend more time than ever in their homes, the demand for outdoor living space soared to an unexpected level.
Over the summer, searches for professional deck builders increased exponentially. Additionally,as a result of quarantine, homeowners began to tackle DIY home improvement projects at a rate that was almost 70 percent higher than the previous year according to marketwatch.com, accelerating the already strong DIY remodeling trend.
Building material dealers, lumber yards, and home improvement centers had a busy 2020 with the demand for new and updated decks, and a slow down is not expected. Here are some anticipated decking trends for 2021 to help both builders and dealers prepare for the upcoming building season.
1. Staycations will continue to be commonplace. In 2020, homeowners reallocated their vacation dollars toward creating a space at home for rest and relaxation. Principia Consulting, a leading source of market intelligence for the decking industry, says this trend “is expected to continue as social behavior to stay close to home and stay cations become more commonplace.”
Homeowners will continue to invest in their decks as a personal getaway. This includes both new outdoor spaces as well as simple upgrades to existing outdoor features. There will likely be countless opportunities in 2021 for dealers to supply products that help create more at-home staycation spots.
2. There are high-quality composites at lower price points. When considering materials,homeowners are deciding to upgrade from wood to a low-maintenance composite deck board.
As a result, decking manufacturers are finding ways to reduce the cost of composite decking and bridge the space between composite and treated lumber. To achieve a balance of affordability and less maintenance, both deck builders and homeowners expect composite boards to achieve a lifetime of structural integrity at a reasonable price. Technologies are advancing for composite board options, so it’s important to understand the features and benefits between brands and materials.
3. Creative deck designs are becoming commonplace. Deck design features are now being used routinely by contractors in the deck and remodeling industries. Some creative design elements that are taking a permanent hold include:
• The use of multiple deck board colors in a deck build
• Single and double picture frames
• Breaker boards
• Unique inlays as focal points
• Wide planks
Homeowners trust contractors to design an outdoor space that reflects their personal style. Unique features and creative designs are important to keep in mind for the upcoming building season.
4. Railings are becoming sleeker, simplified in design,and contemporary in style. As a main feature of a deck, the railing should be selected carefully to match the aesthetic of the home. Seamless railing options that are easy to install and maintain will continue to trend over the next year.Simplified railing systems such as preassembled aluminum railing and cable railing save deck builders valuable time and effort on railing installation. Cocktail rails and continuous top rails continue to gain popularity.
5. Lighting features continue to grow as more options and styles become available. As homeowners spend more time at home, they have a growing desire to extend the use of their outdoor space with lighting. Solar and low-voltage lighting options offer a simple way to add beauty and function to a deck. From stair lights to bistro lights that give the look and feel of outdoor restaurant dining, lighting can create ambiance while increasing visibility and safety. The right outdoor lighting offers a prime upsell opportunity for deck projects.
While the impact of the COVID-19 continually evolving,these trends will help define what to expect for the next year’s deck-building season. With these trends in mind, you will be better prepared to have success despite the potential uncertainty of 2021.